Blog for Week 7

Hi everyone,

We have a very nice share for you this week.  At the risk of being extremely repetitive,  everything is so early this summer!  It's crazy.  I was out planting more carrots, beets, radishes, and salad greens this morning, more than I planned to because I can't believe how quickly we are going through plantings.  We have lots of food on the horizon, but I must admit, I am worried about still having food come September.  But then I tell myself that, no matter what, their always seems to be tons of food in September, with tomatoes, eggplants, peppers, and melons all at their peak.  The corn and beans are all just coming on so quick that it makes me think I should have done more plantings for late Summer though.  The mental anguish of growing veggies.  I guess it's always something. 
In other news, the Orchard Kitchen is scheduled to have their opening ceremonies this weekend.  That is the name of the commercial kitchen, restaurant and event center that Vincent and Tyla Nattress (the owners of the land that Ebb Tide Produce sits on) are opening.  They have been working at a feverish pace trying to get everything ready, and the property has been a huge construction site for over a month now.  We are all very excited to see them launch into the next phase of their project.
Here's the share:
Lettuce- Lettuce is back, and we've finally found a way to keep the deer from destroying it...by covering it with the floating row cover that we use to protect many other crops from (usually insect) pests.  Thank goodness.  The deer were driving me crazy.
Carrots-  More carrots in the share this week. 
Zucchini and cucumber-  Hope you enjoyed the first squash this week!  This week we will probably give you one squash and one of our first cucumbers.  Eventually I think we usually switch to either two squash or two cucumbers( every other week), but as the cucumbers are just getting started I think we'll only have enough to give everybody one, and in the meantime we have lots of zucchini! 
These "Adam" cucumbers are really, really delicious.  The skin is thin and tender, so they don't need to be peeled.  My favorite way to eat them is right out of my hand in the field, but here's a recipe for a cucumber salad:  http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Korean-Cucumber-Salad/
Cauliflower-  Well, I very much hope we can give everyone a head of cauliflower.  The cauliflower is one of the few crops that is not enjoying this warm weather...the heads are a bit less uniform than usual and not coming on at a super consistent pace.  We'll do our best!
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/spiced-carrot-cauliflower-soup-51262700
Green beans!!-  I am excited to have green beans already.  They are so delicious fresh off the plants.  These younger, fresher beans are so much tastier than the ones from the grocery store.  Great to eat raw, too, unlike the tougher ones at the store. 
New potatoes-  Pretty similar to the ones you got a few weeks ago, but as you will see, they are getting bigger!  Still thin skinned and tender, so treat them with care and store them in the crisper drawer of the fridge like your other root veggies.
Walla walla sweet onions-  Well, I went back and forth about whether you all would prefer onions or kale in your share this week.  We have plenty of both.  The share this week doesn't have much green stuff in it, but onions are always nice...if you really want kale let me know and I'll put extra in the farm stand on Thursday.  You can grab a bunch on the house. 

No comments:

Post a Comment